Coimbatore, also known as the Manchester of South India, is home to a large number textile mills, textile machinery manufacturers, hosiery units and engineering industries. Coimbatore is the second biggest city of the southern state of Tamil Nadu, India and is identified as one of the fast developing metros of India with a strong engineering industrial base and a flourishing textile industry. Machine Tools, Textile machinery, Foundries, Gears, Pump sets, Motors, Auto components, Valves are some of the key products manufactured by Industries of Coimbatore. There are about 50,000 small, medium and large scale industries. It has 5 universities, 25 Engineering Institutions & more than 100 arts & science colleges.
It is the emerging metropolis, a confluence of diverse cultures and people is an epicenter of growth. Easily accessible from all the southern states it has become an ideal destination for Trade Fairs.
Coimbatore city is strategically located at the junction of the three modern southern states Tamil Nadu, Kerala and Karnataka with proximity to many important cities of Southern India. It is well connected by air and surface transport. Surrounded by holiday destinations and the scenic hill stations of Ooty, Munnar and Kodaikanal, the historic temples of Perur, Palani, the historic city of Madurai, Guruvayur, the nearby exciting “God’s Own Country” Kerala with its enchanting back-waters and ayurvedic health resorts, Coimbatore is well known for its salubrious climate and is reflected in the number of people who travel in and out for trade and leisure. The spending capacity of its citizens has increased many folds during the recent years and more people will take to travel in the near future. The stress of modern lifestyle has also made holidaying more popular.
The textile exports from this city and its neighbouring areas are in excess of Rs. 50,000 Million. It’s numerous health care facilities, technical and general educational institutions can be compared to the best in the word. It is an emerging IT and BPO centre and is ranked at 17th place among the global outsourcing cities.
Coimbatore has strong economic links with neighbouring cities like Tirupur, Erode, Salem & Karur whose businessmen are always a happy lot crisscrossing the globe, for business and pleasure alike. It is well connected by road to cities like Mysore, Calicut, Cochin, Madurai and Trichy at a radius of 200 Kms. Air and rail connectivity make travel from and to Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad and Bombay very easy.
Some Quick Facts About Coimbatore
- The establishment of the 1st textile mill way back in 1888 paved the way for the birth of industrialization in the city
- It is now home to a variety of industries like textile machinery, cement, rubber, transport equipment, foundry, engineering and a number of other small scale industries
- It is abuzz with businesses like jewelers, cotton yarn, knitted garments etc.
- An industrious and enterprising city, it captures the essence of the entrepreneurial spirit
- Coimbatore also boasts of some of the best educational institutions in the country.
- It has always been a city in tune with the times and is well on its way to become a major IT hub down South
- A stopover for tourists, Coimbatore has a rich cultural heritage
- It is well-connected with all major cities by means of road, rail and air
- It enjoys a pleasant climate all year round, with proximity to the Western Ghats and hill stations like Ooty and Kodaikanal
- Coimbatore, with the right blend of tradition and modernization, is poised to be one of the fastest developing cities in India